Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Making things move

One of my preconceptions about shamans was that they have the ability to make things move. Events, people, health, or chance occurrences that end up for the good or bad, the shaman has the ability to change the course of things to go one direction or another. I never really understood how to do this until recently, though I think I have always done it in my healing.

Several years ago, a patient came in with a thyroid problem. She had gone to all of the standard doctors without much result, but was on a year long waiting list for a new specialist who had an innovative approach that could work for her. During her first treatment, I felt a great shift in her energy, especially in regards to the thyroid problem. The next week she came in and told me that she had called that specialist to give his receptionist her new phone number (she had moved), and was told that the phone call immediately before her was someone canceling an appointment the next day, did she want it? And she saw the specialist with good results.

What was my role in that? I don't know for sure, but it happened often enough in my practice that I've come to think that sometimes my treatments don't always heal, but they can open the way to healing in ways I don't expect. Did I make it so she could jump the waiting list? Not intentionally, but something in the energetic shift allowed it to happen. So I started looking for ways to make it happen intentionally.

John, my teacher, once told me that he could look at upcoming decisions and see choice that led up or down. Sometimes he could see them go into the light or dark, but he could see, generally, where they would lead. For me, when I would "vibe" a decision or an upcoming event, I would see how the choices would feel. Sometimes, one of the choices would get a buzz and another would get nothing, so I would go with the one with the buzz. Or sometimes, both options were flat or both options would buzz, and I interpreted that to mean that both choice led to the same place.

Lately, I've been trying to extend them forward from a simple buzz inside me, by pushing the energy of the decision forward from me and seeing what it does. The image or the feeling is that the energy shoots out from me and then goes either upwards or downwards. I treat the upwards as the better choice. If neither of them goes anywhere or goes upwards, I start to think of other choices I could make until I find one that goes upwards.

So what do I do when I find something that goes in a bad direction? The obvious choice would be not to do it, but what if it's something over which I have little control, but need to have happen. There can be a whole discussion here of determining what should and shouldn't happen, and how to determine that, but I think I'll try to come back to it in more depth later. Suffice it say that I try to be very aware of if I'm doing this for my own ego or for some other reasons. There is also a clear feeling I have of when I am going with the flow and when against, and I only try to go with the flow. That is to say something that will happen anyway, and I'm just helping it along, or removing blockages that were preventing it from happening. When I've gone against the flow and tried to make something happen that it supposed to happen, it goes badly. But more on this another time.

I recently had to fill out some paperwork for the Israeli Licensing Agency to transfer over my American driver's license. When I vibed the paperwork after I dropped it off, there was nothing, no movement at all, which didn't surprise me as Israeli bureaucracy is legendary. The clerk had told me the process could take anywhere from a week to six month, and needless to say, I preferred if it would happen on the sooner side. So I connected to my paperwork and pushed it through the sludge of the agency until it was moving. I connected to it three or four times and, not surprisingly, it felt a lot like I was giving it a treatment. On the last time I tried to connect to it, I didn't feel anything at all. The next day, three weeks after I'd dropped it off, I got a call that it was all done and to come by and pick it up.

In this case, it was something that was going to happen anyway and I just helped it happen faster by escorting it through the sludge of the bureaucracy. But what was the mechanism that helped me to do that?

I talked with John about it recently, and his take was that it's love. If I can send love to it, then it will open up. So power, in this sense, is the ability to send love to something to make it move.

Which also helps me in another thing I've been thinking about, which is: What is the power of love? It's very clear to see the strength of dark power, to see how people achieve things in the world by hurting others and pushing themselves up by pushing others down. It's easy to hate. But what about Love? I have always heard that the power of love is the strongest, but it's harder to see because the power of love is the power of connections which are slow to grow and easily disrupted. But now I see how the shamans of light do it, they surround a thing with love and it moves.Which, as I think about it, is what I do during my treatments, I find my patient's hard and stuck energy and I surround it with love, it moves, and they get healthy.

I guess, I can use the "vibing" to tell me how to act, and to see where my decisions will lead me, and then the love to make changes or remove blockages. Now I need to pay attention to the vibing to know when something needs help and when it will happen on it's own. And I always need to remember that none of this is my doing, I can use the power, but it's not my power, otherwise I will lose track of the line between when my ego wants things to happen and when God wants them to happen. I suspect that this a common way to step off the path.

No comments: